Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Fried Kumara (Ubi Goreng)



This afternoon snack is just easy one. Ubi Goreng is very cheap and common traditional snack. It is, makanan kampung (village food). By the way, is ubi means yam or sweet potato in English? Is yam and sweet potato the same thing? In NZ they call it Kumara. In Indonesia it's Ubi.
This is just my way of Ubi Goreng. I always like salty taste in touch with the sweeetnes of Ubi. I cut it into chunky french fries look-a-like. I also add some white pepper. My eldest son thought they were potato french fries and he likes the crunchiness at the edges.
Here it is, Ubi Goreng.

Fried Kumara(Ubi Goreng)

Ingredients:
800 gr kumara(ubi)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
2 tbsp flour
1 tbsp rice flour

Directions:
- Peel the kumara, cut in chunk aticks and wash in running water. Rinse.
- While still wet, add salt and pepper. Stir with your hand until all covered.
- Mix all the flour in a bowl.
- Heat oil in medium heat.
- Put some of the kumara into flour bowl, get them all covered with flour.
- Tap the kumara a bit to remove of excessive flour before tossed in oil.
- Fry them until golden.
- Drain.
- I add a pinch of salt and a pinch of pepper again at this moment. But it's optional.


Have a nice tea time!

2 comments:

  1. I like the idea of adding the flour - I'm sure it helps with letting it crisp up a little better :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. actually it does, but they still won't crisp forever. So we ate it while it's warm :))

    ReplyDelete