Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Gulai Ikan Snapper (Snapper Fish Gulai)


It is supposed to be Gulai Kepala Kakap(Kakap's Head Gulai). A luscious meal from West Sumatera, Indonesia. Unfortunately, I don't know if there is 'kakap' in NZ. But they do got Snapper fish. My hubby love Snapper, and this time he requested Gulai Snapper.

I never really make gulai before. Gulai itself is a kind of curry. As many Sumatera's cooking, gulai needs a lot of spices and uses coconut milk(santan in Indonesian). It's not impossible to get all the spices that needed in this gulai. But, some of them need to be replaced or skipped, because my spices collection in the kitchen is not so complete. Some other spices even might hard to find in NZ. So based on the recipe I found, and the spices I have in our kitchen, I made the gulai, with adjustment.


Now let's talk about hot pepper. As in the photo, I used three kind of pepper. I used three small red chilli pepper which are very hot. I also use one of two big red chilli pepper, which I assumed not so hot. The big green chilli was from my landlady whom grown the pepper in her garden. I don't know the name of all these chillies. Back in my country, I might recognize some types of chilli pepper. But here, I'm pretty much clueless he he. Anyway, the result of using three kind of chillies was a very hot gulai. It might makes you sweating when eating it. So, if you want to try this recipe, just find chilli pepper that suits your taste.

For this gulai I used whole fish, head included. Maybe it's scary to some people, but my hubby love fish' eyes. Yes, to eat. I have to make sure they're well cooked. But no, I do not eat fish' eyes. I always feel that they are 'eyeing' on me :p

There are some Indonesian spices in this recipe which probably known in other Southeast Asian Cooking as well, like tamarind paste. There is also salam leaf(daun salam) which is sort of Indonesian bayleaf. If salam leaf is not available, you can substitute it with bay leaves. Bay leaf makes milder aroma than salam leaves. The shallots here are quite big. They can be as big as medium onion, but with some cloves in it. In Indonesia, shallots are just a little bigger than garlic.

Here is the recipe, which I already adjust to the conditions.
Oh, I forgot to tell how does it taste. Gooood.



Gulai Snapper

Ingredients:

1 medium snapper, clean and cut into pieces
2 tbsp lemon/lime zest
1 tsp salt

800ml coconut milk
2 lemongrass stalks, thwack them once with knife's back
1 tomato(green is better), cut into wedges
1 tsp tamarind paste, diluted with 1 tablespoon of warm water
3 salam leaves
3 small red hot chilli pepper
1 big green chilli pepper, chop 1cm
1 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
salt
cooking oil


Spices, grind altogether to smooth:
1 big red chilli pepper
1 tbsp coriander seeds, toast on pan 1-2 minutes until fragrant
1 cm fresh ginger
2 cloves garlic
4 big shallots


Directions:
- Marinate fish with lemon/lime and salt. Let it sit at least 15 minutes.
- Deep fry the fish just until cooked but not overly dry. Drained.
- Heat about 2 tablespoon of cooking oil in a pan with medium heat, stir in ground spices, lemongrass, salam leaves and chopped chillies, until fragrant and change colour.
- Pour in coconut milk, keep on stirring while boiling.
- Add in turmeric, salt and black pepper. Taste it.
- Put the fried fish, tomato and diluted tamarind paste.
- Let it on medium heat for a while. Better not boiling too long because the fish will be mushy.
- Serve with hot white rice, yummy....

No comments:

Post a Comment