Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Sage and Onion Roasted Chicken




It started when we bought frozen ready to cook Sage and Onion Roast Chicken. It's just a package of frozen marinated and stuffed chicken that we bought from supermarket one day. It is easy because all we need is just put the chicken in oven for 1 hour and, voila! No preparation needed. My hubby love it, and would be happy if we buy it again. My kids ate it. And I...well, I think I just have to find the recipe by Google, ha ha ha! It's just curiosity. I thought, the name is sage & onion....could the ingredients be not more than sage and onion? :D

So, I found these two recipes. It's like a little bit habit of mine, that when I googled, I compare some of recipes I found, and pick up 2-3 recipes that I like. At the end, I might fuse 2 or 3 recipes, or feel happy enough with just one. This time I fuse 2 recipes. One recipe is from the Hairy Bikers, while the other one is from Lala's kitchen blog.

It's quite easy, only a little messy when stuffing and rubbing the chicken, but it's alright. It's simple, yet yummy. Most of all, cooking from the scratch is fresher, cheaper and heart pleasing :)


Here is my Sage and Onion Roasted Chicken

The chick, ready to roast

Ingredients:
1 medium whole chicken
1 egg yolk
1 slice of bread or 1/2 cup of bread crumbs
2 onion
1 clove garlic
2-3 tbsp dried sage or 4 fresh ones
salt
pepper
a pinch of freshly ground nutmeg
1 heap tbsp butter
lemon
olive oil


Directions:
- Boil onions in water just enough to cover them for about 5 minutes. Drain them. (I usually keep the water to boil potatoes that accompanied the chicken later).
- Smear chicken with lemon zest. Set aside.
- Heat up oven to 180 degree celcius.
- Process boiled onion, garlic, bread, egg yolk, butter, sage, nutmeg, salt, pepper and butter in blender or food processor until it looks like coarse mixture (not until it become paste-like).
- Stuff the stuffing inside the chicken and massage some of the stuffing on the chicken's skin.
- Rub a little oline oil on the skin.
- I sew up the opening part of the chicken to keep the stuffing in, but it's up to you.
- I usually put it in oven plastic bag before put into the oven, but it's up to you.
- Cook about 1 1/2-2 hours. I'm usually happy with 1 1/2 hours.
- Since I usually use oven plastic bag, I usually make few holes on the plastic. When the chicken almost done, I take the chicken out, take the plastic away (caution: Hot!), and roast again about 10 minutes to get the skin brownish.
- Serve with potatoes and vegetables, anyway you like.

Serve: 2 adults and 2 toddlers :)

No comments:

Post a Comment