Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Simplicity in Eid

Assalaammualikum warrahmatullahi wabarakatuh sisters and brothers in Islam,

I know it is weeks after Eid Fitr day, but this posting is especially to say Eid Mubarak to you all. Taqaballahu minna wa minkum, may Allah Ta’ala accept our and your efforts and good deeds.

In the place where we far away from big family, my little family of me, hubby, and two sons had celebrate Eid very moderately. As our second Eid Fitr in NZ, these Eid days were very quiet compare to previous ones. No big family, no big bunch of friends :)
Last year was even more quiet. I didn't bake any cookies, as the tradition food in Indonesia. Last year we just went to Eid prayer, ate at home, and off we went for vacation out of town.
However, I realize my kids grown bigger and as we live as minority here, there are lots of celebrations that we have to meet with, which is not related to our faith. By that, my kids so close to influences that can pull them away from our faith, Islam. As parents, especially as a mum, I realize how huge my responsibility to keep my sons in track in our faith, especially in this non muslim country.

I realized I have to make our sons recognize that Eid days are more important than any other celebration days that they could meet here. The Eid day have to be special, therefore I could not let Ramadhan month and Eid days passing by without our sons missing them after.
This year, my sons tried to fast a few days in Ramadhan. They woke for sahoor for a few days. They recognize Eid day. I made more effort to make cookies and meals. I made a little decoration and tidy up our home a bit. We gave the boys some gifts because they have tried fasting. We went to Eid prayer in ASB Showground, where a lot of muslims from all over the world, so our son can see that they're not the only muslim here in Auckland, and muslims are not only from Indonesia. In that place, there are festive of food stalls and children's play area. I hope, I really hope, that they remember that day, and wanting it some more. This might be a small clue, but when my youngest son said to me, "Bunda, I want to go there again", I feel cool water flow in my chest, feeling that we've probably started something good here.

We probably away from the very merry Eid day that we used to have, but a little simplicity is better than none. It's just a little effort, I know, but it's one pavement of a good path, inshaaAllah.

No comments:

Post a Comment