Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Misro

Misro is abbreviation of aMIS di jeRO, which is from Sundanese(West Java ethnic) language that means "sweet inside". Misro one of the old Indonesian snacks. Probably long before donut and burger came imperialized the taste of Indonesian people...just kidding, it is not that meanful. I think. Nevermind.
Misro is so 'Indonesia'. If you see the ingredients bellow, they are all so tropical; cassava, coconut, tapioca and gula Jawa. Have I told you about gula Jawa before? I will tell you about it in another post about this palm sugar that so sweet, chewy and make Indonesian food so different.


First batch



Everytime I cook from the recipe of old times, I can not help but remembering my childhood when my grandma always supply us, my brothers and me with simple and traditional snacks. I loooove her dearly and miss her so much. I miss my Mum too. Oh.

If you never taste Misro before, it is supposed to be crunchy outside and a bit chewy on the inside. As the name is "sweet inside", it filled with gula Jawa or Javanese palm sugar. Misro, have a 'sibling' named Comro or Combro which means onCom di jeRO or oncom inside. Oncom is a bit like Tempe. I will try to make Comro someday, but it might be hard because I still do not know where to find oncom in Auckland. I might substitute it with Tempe.

It is glutenfree, dairyfree, nutfree snack. Almost sounds healthy, eh? Unfortunately to anyone who is on diet, it is deep-fried. Well, I think still quite slimmer than donuts ;)

This is so easy, and you know I never make difficult recipe, right?

Bunch of them




Misro

Ingredients:
450 gram finely shredded cassava (I used 1 package of 454gram frozen shredded cassava)
100 gram fresh or frozen shredded coconut
1 heap tbsp tapioca flour
1/2 - 1 tsp salt
gula Jawa, chopped with knife, for filling

Directions:
- Mix together in a bowl all ingredients except gula Jawa.
- Mould the cassava mix with your hands into golf ball shape.
- Flat each ball in your palm and fill with about 1/2 - 1 teaspoon gula Jawa. Cover the filling by closing your hands with your fingers and try to cover the gaps. It is a bit tricky maybe, it is not like bread dough and a bit crumbly. Press a bit and shape it like a flat ball.
- Heat oil on medium heat.
- Deep fry all the dough until golden brown and crisp on the outside.
- Drain the excess oil with strainer or paper towel.
- Serve while it's hot. Bon apetite!

Melted gula Jawa inside, nom!

No comments:

Post a Comment